To help celebrate 75 years in business and to thank Iowans and South Dakotans for supporting a locally-based health insurer, Wellmark will be awarding $7,500 to ten projects. These projects will demonstrate a long-lasting impact on making the healthy choice the easy choice and improving overall community health and wellness. Such projects include improving parks or trails in the community, establishing or improving recreational activities, or improving access to healthy foods.
The Independence Community School District’s All-Activities Complex, which includes six tennis courts, new baseball/softball fields and new turf, has qualified for one of the $7,500 awards.
From August 20th through September 7th, all qualified entries will be available for public voting. Public votes are one of the four final factors Wellmark will use to determine the 10 winners… this is where the Mustangs need your help!
Visit the polls on the Wellmark site (www.wellmark75.com) to vote for the Mustang’s All-Activities Complex Project on August 20 – September 7th. There will be a link to the voting page and only one vote per IP address per day will be allowed.
On top of granting ten $7,500 awards, every day for 75 days Wellmark will be thanking members and stakeholders by creating opportunities to be well and rewarding healthy choices. A few of the activities include:
- Movies in the park – Wellmark will be sponsoring outdoor movie nights, distributing popcorn and other fun items in Algona, Iowa; Vermillion, S.D.; and Spirit Lake, Iowa.
- Pop-up rewards – Be on the lookout for Wellmark employees rewarding healthy behaviors with water bottles, towels or healthy snacks for activities such as taking the stairs, biking to work or exercising over lunch.
- 75-second exercise videos – Visit www.Wellmark.com/75 for a series of videos demonstrating simple, 75-second exercises to help people get moving throughout the day.
- Wellmark branded Pandora® station – Looking for great music to get moving? Check out Wellmark’s Pandora radio station.
- Interactive jump rope – An interactive, digital jump rope will be at the Jordan Creek Mall in Des Moines from August 15–September 11. Come test your skills to see how many jumps you can complete in a row.
- Healthy selfie – Throughout the 75 days, Wellmark will be asking for people to take a “healthie” and upload it to facebook.com/WellmarkBCBS to win a FitBit® One™.
“For 75 years we have been setting the standard, but now it’s time to raise the bar,” said John Forsyth, CEO of Wellmark. “We will continue to act in our members’ best interest while helping the communities we serve be well, so we can continue to create a more sustainable health care system. We’re excited to demonstrate what the next 75 years can be.”
To learn more about the $7,500 award or Wellmark’s 75 Days, 75 Ways, visit www.Wellmark.com/75.com.
For more information on the All-Activities Complex, visit the Independence Mustang Foundation website at www.indeemustangfoundation.com and click on the News/Projects page.